So here I am, nearly a week into the course and more confused than ever. Not in a bad way you see, more like the bit in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when the fat kid is shown the room with the candy trees and chocolate lakes. There's too many new things to take in. Too many things to think about. Too many avenues to be explored. Up until a week ago I considered Interaction Design to be something based purely in the physical, an element of design that was inseperably rooted in the tangible world. It never occurred to me that Interaction Design could also encompass the core processes of connecting and communicating information in all its many forms. It also never occured to me that this form of design would not be purely concerned with creating products to be interacted with, but also the creation of services that power and facilitae these interactions. In short, I'm realsing that there's a lot more too Interaction Design than is visible to the naked eye, and I find it all rather exciting.
This last week has introdced me to a number of incredibly interesting notaries of the Interaction Design community, including
Dan Hill,
Timo Arnall and
Berg. I've also had the pleasure of having direct instruction from
Matt Cottam and Maia Garau, who've both done an excellent job of teaching some difficult principles in some equally difficult physical climates. Copenhagen is pretty damn hot right now...
Something to peruse to explain what exactly I've been getting myself into:
The Street As Platform by Dan Hill.
I'm beginning to see that, regardless of how much I enjoy working with light, there is a world of other technologies and techniques out there I need to start exploring.
Roll on week two...
No comments:
Post a Comment